- Search Engine Optimisation
- Social Media Optimisation
- Website Analytics
- Indexing & Crawling
- Keyword Analysis
- Link Building & External Link Strategies
- Content Marketing
- On-Page Optimisation
- Competitor Analysis
- Mobile SEO
For example, refer us a client spending 2k a month, you get a £400 initial bonusdo nothing earn big! Tell me more
Whether you decide to embark on a pay-per-click (PPC) advertising campaign to add an extra string to your digital marketing bow, or because you want to use it as an alternative keyword research tool in today’s world of keyword (not provided), the ability to plan and manage your campaign holds the key to whether you achieve your objectives.learn more
If you’re crediting other websites with links out from your own, the onus is on you to tell them you’ve done it, otherwise your generosity may never be discovered!learn more
How to Use Keyword Rankings to Measure SEO Success
Keyword rankings are an obvious metric to analyse if you want to know successful your SEO campaign is. If your keyword research has left you with five or six high potential keywords that you feel you can rank for, then you are naturally going to want to check that you are ranking well for these over time. You can use platforms such as SEMRush to check your keyword rankings, as well as to find ideas for other keywords; whether they relate to your current targets or are long-tail keywords that you are not currently looking at.
For example, if you were targeting six specific keywords, and SEMRush, or another platform, tells you that you are ranking in positions one to five in Google for two of those keywords, but are way down the rankings for the four others, you would be able to make an evidence-based decision about whether you wanted to shift your focus. In this instance, you could either increase the efforts made in relation to the four non-performing keywords, or carry out further research to determine if you would be better targeting variants of the successful ones. The latter might be true if, for example, you decided to target these keywords despite them being highly competitive, but having committed resources for a short time, you see that it is no longer cost effective to do so.
As obvious as analysing keyword rankings is, there are disadvantages to doing so.
- If you are carrying out an SEO strategy and you focus solely on keyword rankings, you are missing the data available elsewhere. In addition, if your keyword research was not as good as possible, there is a chance that you are ranking for irrelevant keywords without realising it. You might have hit page one of Google for five keywords, but is your site relevant to internet users who would be searching that term?
- While numerous pieces of research have proven the value of ranking on Google’s first page, your site is still only one of ten that is on there, in addition to adverts, news stories, and various other features like maps or shopping windows. A high ranking does not automatically translate into more traffic.
- Google are making search more personalised all the time. This means search history, geographical location, social media use, and many more factors are taken into consideration when Google presents results to an internet user. These can all affect your keyword rankings, yet are all factors over which you have no control. SEMRush might say you are ranking on page one for certain keywords, but it is not always the case.
- You will unwittingly waste a lot of time if you obsess over keyword ranking analysis.
The most sensible approach is to check keyword rankings on a sporadic basis. Once a month is sufficient. Instead of looking at them purely in terms of keyword success, look for the keywords that are unexpectedly delivering a high ranking, and devise a plan for working these into your content marketing strategy. By using SEMRush and similar platforms you can also see which pages are appearing in the search results for certain keywords.
Written by Robert Reeve
Posted · Nov 22, 2013
Categories · Keyword Analysis.
Related Articles · How do Keywords Evolve Through Time?. Should You Target Misspelled Keywords for SEO?. How to Complete Keyword Competitor Analysis. What are the Best Keyword Research Tools?. What is the Value of Targeting Long-Tail Keywords?. How to Select the Right Keywords?. Is Keyword Density Important?. The Importance of Keywords.
Do you like this post?
Increase your sales - get a FREE quote
Our clients, and what they say
Most of our targeted pages have had a huge boost for the keywords Bough Digital have recommended us to use. Also, their customer service is quick and responsive. We will continue the relationship with this great SEO firm as the results are impressive! Outstanding service.read more
Bough Digital have been working with us for 6 months now and have hit all targets set. We have just upped our budget with them as we are extremely happy with what they have achieved with our site. Great SEO company!read more
Bough's advice and recommendations have proved an invaluable part of our digital strategy in recent years, and continue to be so alongside the other services they provide us.read more